Generate new ways of achieving your solution by removing a key function and finding inventive ways of replacing it.
I experienced this recently when playing a board game in a pub but didn’t have any dice. I needed to think of another way to simulate a roll of the dice.
First have a think about how you would solve this problem before reading my solutions beneath?
Here are my options:
- Arrange 6 objects on the table in a circle and spin a bottle, knife or glass.
- Write numbers 1-6 on a bits of torn napkin, place in a glass and pick without looking.
- Read through the menu line by line and the next vowel you come to corresponds to the order in the alphabet a=1 e=2 i=3 o=4 u=5. There is no reason I need 6 numbers.
- Flip a coin 6 times with heads= 0 tails= 1
- Pick out 6 people in the pub and number them. The number you pick will be the first person to take a mouthful of food or drink during your go.
I was able to invent new solutions by reframing the function of dice as a means of picking a number between 1 and 6. This allowed my thinking to move away from the rigid function of dice.
Tag Cloudalternatives assumptions brainstorming broadening business changing scales child concepts connections Constraint context course creativity development dreams exaggeration exercise failure feedback funny game games genius ideas ideas poker innovation intuition metaphor mindset overstatement passion perspectives positives reframing reversal role reversal satire silly subconscious teams understatement